funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Bad Guys are Winning' Despite Fight Against Spam

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:11:24 -0600

On 12/10/06, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

Dude VanWinkle wrote:

> Spammers shouldn't be killed, we should just get rid of botnets, or

Like that's going to happen any time this decade...

> block port 25 outbound from the consumer ISP's unless the user
> requests it.

You don't understand spam at all, do you?

Think about it -- if botnets are a problem then lack of outgoing port
25 in large ISP's is not a problem for a spammer (you can't possibly
think that in general spam _must_ come from outside your network, can
you?), and if botnets are a problem then more stringent port 25/SMTP
checks in many large ISP's will not make much difference with webmail
or other submission methods, and if botnets are a problem then moving
to parasitic spam will not be a problem in the unlikely event that all
the other real spam-causing problems get fixed...

So what do you propose, Mr. Nick, seeing how you seem to know precisely what
will and wont stop Spam.

The huge majority of Spam that I am involved with comed from residential
sources. By denying those sources, we've managed to really knock Spam out of
our enterprise.

I think sending email is a task that should be left to legitimate server
platforms, not mindless people's PC's.

Some ISP's do block port 25 and we certainly dont see Spam from them.

I'm sure you have the solution.. Lets here it!!

:)