funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Bad Guys are Winning' Despite Fight Against Spam

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:41:31 -0600

It might be that there is no solution for entirely dealing with spam, and
I can think of a possible proof of this. But I don't need a total
solution, I just need something that throttles it back considerably.

Well sometimes I tire of the folks that just sit back and poopoo any effort
or idea that actually works, even if only for today.

If you're on the IT side of it, executives and associates alike, whether
they're stupid or not for using their company email address for non business
related stuff, get load of spam. They dont know why nor do they care. They
just want it to go away.

By carefully analyzing characteristics of spam sources, we've been able to
apply serveral techniques that have been very effective on Spam. But all the
clues point to the source; residential PCs. Economics has everything do to
with it. So take away the port 25 vector and the tactical cost just came
close to infinity for some botherders.. Sure, you say, they will just switch
gears.. Well I think it would be great to force that change. It might expose
some of the activity that various groups have yet to be able to suss out.

Solly, you had me there for a minute with your I know how to make the rain
stop....   I really expected a more global solution than an large
umbrella....

:)

Have a grand Christmas and a bully boxing day to follow!