funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Bad Guys are Winning' Despite Fight Against Spam

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:14:02 +0000 (GMT)

I don't think Nickl claimed in his email, to know what would stop spam. I
think he only claimed to know that the suggested method that he was
commenting on, wouldn't stop it.

One important thing about spam, is that it isn't some natural process like
the rain. I know how to stop rain - you put up a waterproof roof. OK, when
I open the door, a little bit of rain will come in, but I don't mind that.
Rain isn't the result of Intelligent Design, but spam is, and the
Designers will change their tactics to get round any blocking system that
isn't 100%. If you leave some small gap, then all the spam will be
designed to exploit that gap. It isn't like rain.

My opinion is that spam is an economic problem. The problem is that
there's profits to be made by stealing the use of other people's computers
to send spam. The solution has to be economic, and the one that I favour,
is one that imposes a monetary cost on the spam sender, and if that's an
unwitting user, then it's only fair that the cost imposed on other people
by their lack of security, should also be borne by the unwitting user. Or
at least, part of the cost.

Other people have their own ideas for dealing with spam.

It might be that there is no solution for entirely dealing with spam, and
I can think of a possible proof of this. But I don't need a total
solution, I just need something that throttles it back considerably.