funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:44:22 +0100

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:40:38 +0100, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
I can *understand* the anti-smoking law. That's about it. In Israel they
now look to follow UK and SE examples (what examples?!?!) to ban pubs
after 2 AM, to prevent drunk driving.

This is the great Labour nanny state party. The anti-smoking law doesn't
make sense either (godsdamnit - it's about customer choice - most
non-smoking pubs and non-smoking areas in pubs are empty - if people don't
want to go to a smoky pub, go to a non-smoking pub, there's plenty of
them, or ask the manager to make it non-smoking), the pub my girlfriend
works in isn't looking forward to the smoking ban - even though none of
the staff smoke, simply due to the down turn in sales and complexity of
it. The only thing that you can now legally discriminate against it
smoking.

BTW our licencing laws now means pubs can be open 24x7x365, but they have
to apply for the extra hours.

As to the UK, I will be in London this March and I better be able to
get me pint of beer.

Fortunately it seems to be only a few of the southern counties that are
enacting this great destruction of privacy. Looks like another great
British traditional will be going down the toilet.

dave