funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:01:49 -0400 (EDT)

In places with socialized medicine, deliberately ingesting potent
carcinogens *does* hurt others, eventually, even when done
privately.  (I don't know whether IL is such a place.)
We are actually (if you mean government sponsored health care).

That's the commonest form of socialized medicine, yes (and, while I'm
not aware of any others, I wouldn't be so rash as to state that it is
the only one).

I see your point, and raise you, define a public place.  I am with
the prohibition on public places, but our terminology may vary.

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on that.  To me the line between
public places and private places is not, in general, clear-cut.

I'm also not entirely sure where I stand on smoking bans in public
places (for pretty much any definition of "public places").  In my
(limited) experience they generally strike me as having positive
effects, but they also strike me as government meddling where I'm not
sure it has any business meddling.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca