funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on that.  To me the line between
public places and private places is not, in general, clear-cut.
Okay, let's begin at extremes.  Should smoking, if we ignore safety
issues, be allowed on air planes?

I see little point in trying to do this for an endless stream of
example places.  The real problem, to my mind, is the degree to which
public smoking (FWVO "public") is socially acceptable.  We are
currently in an uneasy position, with public smoking in the transition
from acceptable to unacceptable (in most of the West, at least).  The
place I would prefer we be would be for public smoking to be
sufficiently uunacceptable that no laws are needed - for public smoking
to draw hurled insults from almost everyone and being spat upon &c.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca