funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:13:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, der Mouse wrote:

[...anti-smoking laws...]
I can't understand anything that impacts me directly or tells me what
to do, at that level, if I don't hurt others and do so in the privacy
of my own house.

In places with socialized medicine, deliberately ingesting potent
carcinogens *does* hurt others, eventually, even when done privately.
(I don't know whether IL is such a place.)

Not to say that I support (or oppose) anti-smoking laws.  Just pointing
out that It's Not That Simple.

It's a lot simpler than that. If it's right to criminalise cocaine, then
it's right to criminalise activities that primarily hurt the user, and
only hurt others as a side effect.