funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Highway safety

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:22:36 -0500

On 10/24/06, Dennis Henderson <hendomatic () gmail com> wrote:
As much as I hate to contrast the opinion of a fellow wacky liberal
anarchist... :)

Its okay, I figured you would eventually.

I think the authorities would remind you that driving is a privilege, not a
right.

They've convinced most everyone of that, haven't they? :) Trouble is,
the right to travel is one of those unenumerated rights we enjoy as
humans - the the roads we travel on are paid for by our tax dollars,
so they're public areas which can not be denied to me.

And to continue driving past the checkpoint, you must consent to a
test, whether it starts simply as show your papers and answer a question. In
this regard, its not a violation of anyone's Constitutional Rights.

My legal advice is to always deny everything and not to consent to anything. :)

Now if they set up the checkpoint in your driveway or even your living room,
then I would expect that a violation of rights has occurred.
One would think this would long ago been settled in court if otherwise.

Its been in the courts, all the way, to include NARC checks. Just
because the SC sided with the government doesn't make them or the
government right. The court is far from perfect.