funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Highway safety

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:37:27 -0500

> I think the authorities would remind you that driving is a privilege,
not a
> right.

They've convinced most everyone of that, haven't they? :) Trouble is,
the right to travel is one of those unenumerated rights we enjoy as
humans - the the roads we travel on are paid for by our tax dollars,
so they're public areas which can not be denied to me.

I guess I should have consulted the wiki before I posted....

The SCOTUS reversed a State decision: Michigan Department of State Police
vs. Sitz<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michigan_Department_of_State_Police_vs._Sitz&action=edit>
on
the legality of these DUI checkpoints, but DID say that the search WAS a
violation, but should be allowed because it is necessary and effective..
geez gimme a break....

:)