funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:47:20 -0400

On 10/24/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

Look at it as a blacklist for assholes, used by pubs at their
discretion. :P

_______________________________________

Well, the article makes it sound like the fingerprint scanners are
almost mandated by the govt :
----------------------------------
Oh, and (bar owners) are also coerced into taking the fingerprint
system. New licences stipulate that a landlord who doesn't install
fingerprint security and fails to show a "considerable" reduction in
alcohol-related violence, will be put on report by the police and have
their licences revoked.

So I think there may be some more nefarious features built in, if not
advertised. I would be willing to bet that it will search a database
at the Yard to see if anyone has any unpaid parking tickets and such.

------favorite paragraph in the article by far---------

The other occurred last Friday when an under-18 Disco at Dukes
nightclub got out of hand after the youngsters had obtained some
alcohol from elsewhere. A fight between two youngsters escalated into
a brawl involving 435 12 to 16 year olds