funsec mailing list archives

IPv6, C&C (not botnets, coffe and cats)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:30:39 -0500

So, someone sent this to NANOG:
An IPv6 address for new cars in 3 years?

   From: Rich Emmings
* Date: Thu Jun 28 17:47:46 2007

        Mark IV systems has a spec for OTTO. Mark IV makes automatic
        toll collection and related systems O(Not to mention other
        automotive products)

        The system spec's show support for IPv6 and SNMPv3. Notably
        absent was IPv4 as far as I could tell. No notes on if the IPv6
        would be used for Firmware updates or live data collection.
        802.1p radio is the spec'd LLP. O/S is VxWorks.

        The expectation is for 100% of new cars to have OTTO around
        2010.

        http://www.ivhs.com/pdf/FactSheet_OTTO_FactSheet1_101105.pdf

        Topicality: Looks like someone, somewhere intends to be live
        with IPv6 in 3-5 years.
        Off Topic: The privacy and security ramifications boggle the
        mind....

Which I didn't read.

Then, this thread happened:

- -- "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <ops.lists () gmail com> wrote:

>On 6/29/07, Rich Emmings <rich () nic umass edu> wrote:
>>
>> Topicality: Looks like someone, somewhere intends to be live with
>> IPv6
>> in 3-5 years. Off Topic: The privacy and security ramifications
>> boggle
>> the mind....
>>

>Fully mobile, high speed botnets?

*bing*

That last bing was from Paul Ferguson, our Fergie.
If I was drinking coffee, I'd have dropped it!

Other followups included Chris Morrow's:
I can't help it:

"If a bot-car is headed north on I-75 at 73 miles per hour for 3 hours
and a bot-truck is headed west on I-90 at 67 miles per hour, how long
until they are 129 miles apart?"

And Steve Bellovin's:
Hmm -- I was going to say 127.1 miles apart, but that's not a v6
address...  1918 miles apart?