funsec mailing list archives

Re: IPv6, C&C (not botnets, coffe and cats)

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:20:12 -0500

On 6/29/07, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
On 6/29/07, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I just went and saw it this afternoon. :-)
>
> And it was highly entertaining.

It was, action all the way through - and it kept the humor going as
well, way more than previous versions.

> What Brian is referring to is a coordinated cyber attack on the
> U.S. Infrastructure called a "fire sale" -- as in "Everything must
> go.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sale>

Didn't Fight Club already do a low-tech version of that?

No, Fight Club was simply blowing up "all" of the credit companies.
This is more along the lines of shutting down ALL water, natural gas,
electric and financial systems. Funny that SCADA/DCS networks have
been getting some airtime of late - the more they make connections to
it the more likely something like this is possible and not just a
Hollywood nightmare.

There are utilities out there that if you got in you'd have water,
power and a lot of street lights to play with...very bad.