funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 00:48:52 +0300 (EEST)

It appears that the image gallery of the pictures has been posted to
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/03/images-of-the-clements-high-students-terroristic-maps/

- Juha-Matti

Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk> wrote:
Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
> "An American student who made a Counter Strike map of Clements High
> School has been arrested and sent to an "Alternative Education Center".

Perhaps one of the American's on the list could explain just what law,
exactly, this guy is supposed to have broken. I know the US is somewhat
different (well, a little different and getting less by the day!) than
the UK but don't you still have to actually *break the law* to get
arrested there?

> Local authorities acted immediately after they received a phone call
> from a concerned parent whose child had been playing a game that
> "involved killing" and took place in a virtual representation of the
> school."

I can see it now... 'My son's been watching Tom & Jerry.. all that
violence. I want Mr Disney arrested at once!'.

Ludicrous.

Jim.

--
      DigitalDaemons IT Services.