funsec mailing list archives

Re: Student arrested over Counter Strike map

From: John Forrister <John () segfault com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:50:53 -0700

Drsolly wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2007, Kurt Grutzmacher wrote:

On 5/3/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Kurt Grutzmacher wrote:

"I think removing him was probably a good thing to do because we have
no idea if he was actually going to come to school with a gun or
something," student Maggie Berado said.

But I have no idea whether Maggie Berado is going to come to school with a
gun or something, so should we do something about her?

I wonder if she has a hammer close to her:

Or a fork. A fork is a potential weapon.

Or a pen/pencil - after all, they're sharp pointy objects - quick we'd
best arrest every student and administrator in the school, just to be
'safe'.

As most of the people on this list realize, a weapon isn't an object,
it's a state of mind.   Nearly anything that comes to hand can be used
as a weapon if a person decides to attack someone.  Sadly, most people
don't realize this, and instead insist on labeling particular objects as
'dangerous'.

It's disturbing to see how many people live their lives in fear of
spectacular events that will almost certainly never occur to them, while
completely disregarding the things in life that are most likely to hurt
them.

-John