funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Stian Øvrevåge" <sovrevage () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 04:00:46 +0200

On 8/30/07, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
On 8/30/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

So, given that I can't stop people from becoming criminals, I rather like
the idea of making it substantially more difficult for them to murder.
Sure, if you could magically disappear all guns, people would still hit
each other with bricks. But it's a lot harder to murder with a brick, than
with a gun.

1) You have obviously never been hit over the head with a brick.

2) Lets say fewer guns DID reduce the murder rate (there's not a
single fact showing it, but this is for pretend purposes). Now,
instead of 4 million people murdered only 2 million are. Of those 2
million dead, how many might you and your law be responsible for? As I
said, until this nirvana of zero guns is reached, innocent will die
without even the opportunity to defend themselves - which is morally
reprehensible.

You are saying that currently, no single innocent person was ever
killed by a gun in the US? How does me carry a gun prevent someone
from killing me? I'd have to have a pretty quick draw to be able to
retaliate after my opponent has already pulled the trigger.

This whole thing reminds me of MAD, mutually assured destruction,
which basically means something along the lines of, if you try to fuck
me up I'll fuck you up too, guaranteed. It makes perfect sense. How
come then we have dis-armament agreements and embargoes on countries
we suspect are trying to achieve WMDs? Doesn't they have the same
right to defend themselves against you as you have against them?

And what the fuck is up with 70% of your arguments are about defending
against your government? If your government is a fuckup, its your own
fault, you voted for it. Instead of stacking up a shitload of guns
maybe you should rather get in to politics. I'm also quite surprised
that of all the freedom and gun-loving people you have over there
ready to protect mankind against the evil government, you actually let
your country turn into the police-state of the century while, well, I
have no idea what you're all doing...

--
Stian Øvrevåge