funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:14:51 -0500

On 9/5/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

If I am killed on a plane by some loony then whoever it was that
disarmed me is as guilty for my death as the loony. That is what I am
saying.

If you think guns and bullets are responsible for murders you'll
probably never understand this.

What I don't understand, is why gun-nuts persistently represent anti-gun
folk as having this idea.

Guns and bullets aren't responsible for murders. They are responsible for
making it easier to commit murder. And quelle surprise - when somethng is
easier to do, it gets done more often.

Murder does not rely on ease of execution. To say so is to deny that
murder is anything more than a normal, everyday human act...like
traveling across the room. Does a gun make it easier to kill someone?
Yes. Does that mean more murders will be committed when more guns are
present? No. Proof? How about revisiting gun ownership statistics that
were on the list just last week. Based on those, I would say the US'
murder rate would need to be 100-1000 times higher for a correlation
to be made. The same argument is made for suicide and Japan, bless
their hearts, prove it to be wrong annually.

What I don't understand is anti-gun folks' inability to realize the
obvious: if its easier to take a life with a firearm then it must be
easier to defend a life with a firearm.

Consider the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. The Jews there had guns. But the
Nazis still slaughtered them. Guns aren't some magic potion that makes you
invulnerable to harm. The progblem that you Americans have, is if your
government wanted to slaughter you, the popguns you own wouldn't do much
against the artillery, tanks and bombers that your government could
deploy.

And what did they accomplish with those guns? Nothing?! You only
mention the exact event I referenced last week - one which is exalted
as one of the greatest pro-gun stories in human history.