funsec mailing list archives

Re: The Criminal Underground: A Walk on the Dark Side

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:32:56 -0400

I know a lot of people smarter than me have though of these things,
but I have been out of the game for a few years...

On 9/5/07, coderman <coderman () gmail com> wrote:
On 9/5/07, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
... What ever happened to looking at the C&C for
incoming connections and ngrepping out the IP's ?

the C&C for storm and other advanced botnets has moved into
distributed hash tables

so most comcast machines send hash fragments over the web? or is it
just port 443 traffic to legitimate sites? I tried googling but found
only theory. If anyone has a good link I would appreciate it. It seems
impossible to me that they have no centralized communications, else
how would commands be given?

Does anyone have some pcap files to share?

and dns fast flux reached via multiple hops
(where each hop is monitored upstream as well, to know when to cut and
run...)

You can use their size against them, you cant personally watch that
many machines at once, or is the cut-and-run programmatic, because if
so, I see a great solution ;-)

this is actually the most interesting aspect of these modern botnets,
the decentralized and anonymized control structures pulling the
strings

I keep thinking that if the bot herder has a way to tell all machines
to do something (DDoS, send spam, etc), we could take advantage of
that and tell them to uninstall the malware.. after RCE'ing their code

more details would be excellent, but seem sparse for some reason.
(researchers don't want to encourage more adoption of effective
countermeasures?)

Is there no programmatic way to use the detection methods in place to
generate a list of currently controlled bots?

it would require constantly scanning a large DHT ring (overnet) with a
fair amount of node churn.  perhaps someone is doing this (CAIDA?) but
it would take a good amount of bandwidth, honeypots, and effort.

and even if they are, they're not publishing the data, and even if
they did, i bet you money they'd disappear under a DDoS flood within
hours... :)

best regards,

thanks for the info! I have a lot of terms to google!

-JP