funsec mailing list archives

Re: The Criminal Underground: A Walk on the Dark Side

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:57:04 -0800

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

You want a *real* headache, contemplate the fun we'll have if the bad guys
ever release something that takes advantage of the emergent-systems properties
of self-assembling networks (basically, imagine a Storm worm, except it's able
to re-find other copies of itself dynamically if the C&C gets nuked.

It's people like you what cause unrest.

Date sent:              Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:35:49 +0100
From:                   Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk>

I fear something like this either already exists or is well into it's
development cycle. The hard part is the initial discovery protocol - ie.
how a node finds it's first 'neighbour'. Getting that right is the most
critical part to the overall success of the scheme. It needs to be
something that's not going to be easy to filter since it will,
inevitably, be picked apart byte by byte within days.

I've been promoting something very like this, on a wireless network basis, for
either voice or data.  I think it would be the next big thing in telecom, and would
put the telcos out of business.  (However, it would appear that a business model for
it is not only difficult, but possibly inherently impossible.)

Model it on a peer to peer network with no centralised control
(gnutella?) and all you really need to bolt on is the discovery
protocol. The larger the network grows the harder it will become to
break it, the number of alternate 'paths' increases much faster then the
host count.

Similarly, with a wireless network, you avoid the contention model of every
available network setup (whereby the more operating nodes in an area the worse
the possibility of communications), and achieve a system where the more nodes
are operating in a given area, the *better* the available bandwidth  ...

(So, if the Storm boys do it, lets copy it ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
I learned one really sad fact from my career as a columnist:
nobody changes their mind about anything. Ever. Once we form the
opinion, we become evidence processors and we just collect all
the evidence that supports our opinion and reject all the
evidence that disputes it.                            - Bob Metcalfe
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm