funsec mailing list archives

Re: Never forget...

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:23:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Brian Loe wrote:
On 9/12/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

I miss my M16 as it became a part of me, and I liked it, but I honestly
don't want it back.

I like guns.

Is that a political statement or a statement on guns? :) In other

I don't often make political statements.

words, you don't want it back because you don't want to be standing
guard again?

You're on to me! But I didn't really stand guard during 2 of my service.
I did my share of guard duty though, and then some.

Let's be honest:
1. Guns are dangerous.
2. They won't likely help me defend myself in most cases I may encounter.
3. If I defend myself before I am dead, I may as well be as I will be in jail for the rest of my life.
4. If I forget my gun somewhere, GOTO 3.
5. If kids find it, GOTO 3.
6. If an accident happens, GOTO 3.

I like sport shooting and I mildly like guns, as some like cars. But when it comes down to it, they are weapons, and weapons kill. And the responsibility is a killer.

Where you are I was pretty sure you could have that same gun back, and

I live in the west bank, so I guess I could get a gun if I really wanted it and was willing to go through the process. As things are right now, I own a Glock 17C (+). It is not easy to get a license for guns in Israel, unless:

1. You live in a "dangerous area" as clearly defined.
2. You are a member of law enforcement or military, with cause to own one. For military, only if over your 3 years of mandatory service. 3. If you do sports shooting such as IPSC, and then only to own in the range or after 8 years with a process, at home, but not to carry.

Concealed or visible, nobody cares.

not have to stand guard (for anyone other than yourself and your
family, of course). They make the best Uzi in the world over there as
well - not to mention several nice, LARGE handguns...

Depends on the Uzi, the ones I found in the military (no longer used in fighting) were a gamble to take out to the range. Very old.

        Gadi.