funsec mailing list archives

Re: Never forget...

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 23:23:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Brian Loe wrote:
On 9/12/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

words, you don't want it back because you don't want to be standing
guard again?

You're on to me! But I didn't really stand guard during 2 of my service.
I did my share of guard duty though, and then some.

Let's be honest:
1. Guns are dangerous.

As are pools - and especially five gallon buckets.

Irrelevant argument. Pools are not weapons.

2. They won't likely help me defend myself in most cases I may encounter.

I have to vehemently disagree. Someone very close to me has used hers
in defense of herself, and possibly her children. I've used mine in
defense of home. No shots fired in any case (well, not into anyone
anyway).

Most cases I encounter would potentially be while driving a car or being bombed to bits. Then of course, a gun may help in many ways, but one things they ALWAYS do is ESCALATE the situation.

3. If I defend myself before I am dead, I may as well be as I will be in
jail for the rest of my life.

Odd law...taken from the English I suppose.

4. If I forget my gun somewhere, GOTO 3.

I can't think of how I might do this, but its good that you know your limits.

I walked around with a carry-bag for a gun for a while.

5. If kids find it, GOTO 3.

My kids know where they are.

I don't have kids. The gun is an added risk.

6. If an accident happens, GOTO 3.

Accidents happen all the time, doesn't require a gun and not having
one doesn't prevent them from happening. You have to be responsible...

Irrelevant argument. Guns you can't swim in.

I like sport shooting and I mildly like guns, as some like cars. But when
it comes down to it, they are weapons, and weapons kill. And the
responsibility is a killer.

I like sport shooting and hunting, and I've learned to appreciate
their use in defending myself as well.

<SNIP gun law stuff - did not know!>

Depends on the Uzi, the ones I found in the military (no longer used in
fighting) were a gamble to take out to the range. Very old.

That sucks... well, they make the best, or made them anyway. Maybe the
Germans bout the patent...