funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:55:50 -0400

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:34:32 CDT, Brian Loe said:

Might want to ask that Canadian guy who got renditioned off to someplace for
several years of captivity and torture on bum information.  What easy way
did he have to avoid that whole mess?

Don't know, got a reference? You're sounding more and more like a "
troofer" (I think that's the word they're using these days) so I'd
have to verify the story has anything to do with reality before
commenting on it.

Oh, I figured you'd get the reference, because you pay attention to what's
actually going on in the world.  Google for 'canadian rendition' and check
any of the first two pages of results.  Or for "Maher Arar" with the quotes
if you prefer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar - which has a lot of links to the
original source material, including this gem from our own Attorney General
Gonzales:

QUESTION: Canada, as you know, released a long-awaited report yesterday on the
treatment of Maher Arar. Since the Department was the agency that allowed his
removal to Syria in which he was then tortured, doesn't the Department owe him
an apology?

ATTORNEY GENERAL GONZALES: Well, we were not responsible for his removal to
Syria, I'm not aware that he was tortured, and I haven't read the Commission
report. Mr. Arar was deported under our immigration laws. He was initially
detained because his name appeared on terrorist lists, and he was deported
according to our laws.

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2006/ag_speech_0609191.html

Yeah. We put him on the plane, but we weren't responsible.  Gotcha.