funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:44:46 -0500

On 7/9/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Oh, I figured you'd get the reference, because you pay attention to what's
actually going on in the world.  Google for 'canadian rendition' and check
any of the first two pages of results.  Or for "Maher Arar" with the quotes
if you prefer.

I do, but I probably wasn't all that interested in reading up on the One.

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2006/ag_speech_0609191.html

Yeah. We put him on the plane, but we weren't responsible.  Gotcha.

I see...so he was deported according to our laws, and sent to,
apparently, his home country. THAT country may or may not have done
anything to him but you believe...as in, have taken a leap of faith
based on your preconceived notions that Ganzales, and our country, are
evil.

Regardless of this guy's real innocence, pulling him out of the hat
isn't much more impressive than the rabbit trick. Perhaps if they had
been this thorough before 9/11, 9/11 wouldn't have happened! Just
think of it, no war, just a couple of people inconvenienced and
possibly reminded why they left their country in the first place.
Again, I won't apologize for sounding cruel - I couldn't care much
less. Do we owe this guy an apology? Reading your references I would
say not. The Wikipedia entry is decidedly biased, and you couldn't
rephrase it to not sound so. Further, according to everything else AND
the wikipedia entry, the US did NOTHING other than hold him for a week
and return him to Syria.