funsec mailing list archives

RE: Louisiana Bankers Set to Go Wireless

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:19:35 -0400

The trick is to realize that it's not *perfectly* point-to-point - the
beam shape isn't a cylinder, but a very narrow cone.  The end result is
that by the time it's taken a 15 or 20 mile trip tower-to-tower, there's
probably some signal down at the base of the tower too.  Also, the
physical
security of those things usually sucks, so if you wanted to climb
halfway
up the tower with your dish, you probably could.  Remember, those relay
towers are usually in the middle of nowhere, so it'll take a good 15-20
minutes for cops to show up - plenty of time to sniff lots of
interesting
data...

OK, I've already mentioned that these will be on state police towers in
Lousiana. Do you really want to set upo your own microwave receiver at
the base of Office Bubba's station? Be my guest.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <blocked::http://security.eweek.com/>
http://blogs.eweek.com/cheap_hack/