funsec mailing list archives

RE: shit happens, et tu, AVG? was Re: Kaspersky strikes again

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:20:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Alex Eckelberry wrote:

This will be an ongoing problem for several reasons:

1. The sheer volume of malware -- most vendors are dealing with 10,000
to 15,000 samples daily.   That many samples, that much work, mistakes
are bound to happen.

2. The types of malware.  There's lots of malware out there that is
"normal" software, in that they use 3rd party libraries, Installshield,
etc. (unlike, for example, the delicately coded file-infecting viruses
of past infamy).  This can confuse researchers who are building
definitions.

Massive whitelisting is a pretty critical part of all this.  But there
are other things that need to be done as well.

I think something that's surprising a lot of vendors is the amount of
staffing, hardware and other resources required these days to be a
successful antimalware company.  It is certainly not like the old days.

They shouldn't be surprised. I told them this would happen in a conference
in 1990 or thereabouts.

Massive automation of the database creation would help. But I still can't
see any answer other than, "User is not able to install *any* software".

Like grannyx

Alex