funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here's a post to get things going again

From: Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:21:17 -0500

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 15:43 -0500, Brian Loe wrote:
There's all kinds of unprotected speech and I didn't create them -
they're described, often in great detail, via the documents ruling our
society.

Sophistry.  You are describing "Moral Speech", which has exactly zero
standing in a "Free" society.  You have every right not to listen, but
no high ground to dictate to others what is acceptable.

The only non-protected speech is something that can be proved false.
There are penalties in place for me claiming you sell crack, cheat on
your taxes, or murdered your spouse.  That's the *only* sane restriction
on speech that doesn't stray into moral hazard territory.
--
- Andy

Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity.
They seem more afraid of life than death.
  - James F. Byrnes