funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here's a post to get things going again

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:36:01 -0500

On 10/12/07, Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net> wrote:

Speech to drown out another speaker, violating their right to free
speech

All can be falsified, which passes my litmus test.

Well when you make it onto the Supreme Court I'll give a shit about
your litmus tests, until then I'll rely on the current and past
Supreme Court cases...

The last involves
the use of force to prevent the exercise of a right, which is a
different problem all together.

It hasn't been tried yet, actually... but I expect it to. As soon as
conservative students decide to be assholes and start shouting down
liberal guest speakers.

Each "community" is capable of setting up their own rules and, in
fact, COULD outlaw "booing" if they wanted.

What an interesting take on freedom.

Its been that way since the beginning. Its why 2LiveCrew would get
arrested in one Florida county and be allowed to perform in another.
If you don't like the standards your community enforces you're free to
move or try and change it.

Why are you in this argument if you don't understand the basics, like
community standards?! Hell, that was even covered in Valdis' favorite
reference on the 1st Amendment - "The People vs. Larry Flynt"
(1996)!!!

The "speech" being specifically protected, and this is a point so
often lost on morons, is POLITICAL speech.

And what is lost on you is the absurdity of classifying speech into
clever little buckets.  There is no difference between political speech
and any other opinion or preference.

200+ years of this country's history has divided up the types of
speech, sir, not I.