funsec mailing list archives

Re: SANS Says Your Computer's Back Door Is Wide Open

From: "The Security Community" <thesecuritycommunity () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:31:44 -0400

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Daniel H. Renner
<dan () losangelescomputerhelp com> wrote:

(Since when did a printer or a hard drive need to communicate out to the Internet!?)

Ask HP... this is on the "Privacy Settings"
(http://address.of.your.hp.printer/) of a LaserJet 3700...

To better serve our customers, HP would like to collect information on
the use of this product. Hewlett-Packard may use the information to
improve product features and services. HP will not collect personal
data. To enable this feature, simply check the checkbox below.

 Allow product information to be sent to HP

If the checkbox is enabled, information such as the product number,
firmware version, printer or device model, and basic configuration
parameters may be sent to HP. To view the product information that may
be collected, click the link below.
Product Information Collected

For more information on our privacy policy, click the link below.
Hewlett-Packard Online Privacy Statement