funsec mailing list archives

Re: ICANN SSAC Report on Fast Flux Hosting and DNS

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:45:28 -0500

On Jan 30, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:18:16 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:
On Jan 30, 2008 4:03 PM, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
I was somewhat involved, so can vouch this is serious work.

I guess it would be a bad idea to block traffic based on the ttl and
expiry of records with less than x seconds then..

Some of us drop the TTL on things a week or so before a hardware
move to a new
IP address, so you don't keep a stale cached value around after we
do the move.

For some things, we've gone down to 300 or even 60 seconds (having
phone calls
for 3600 seconds after you move www.your-domain. tends to make the
help desk
people seriously consider doing Bad Things to your car - and if you
haven't
outsourced your help desk, they probably know what kind of car you
drive. ;)

Conversely, blocking based on low TTL may also upset your helpdesk if
your users hit a bunch of popular websites or rely on os or av auto
updates...