funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cyberattack from the Pakistani government?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:27:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Paul Ferguson wrote:

So a government order blocking an entire Web site isn't a cyberattack?

No. It is censorship, not a "cyber attack".

I think I agree with this terminological distinction.

But would add that incompetent implementation of an order to block
access to an entire website (coupled with poorly devised technological
underpinning that should probably make the effects of such mistakes
much less widely felt) may effectively result in a "cyber attack"...

That is -- responsibility for the "attack" does not rest with the
Pakistani government, but with some moron at Pakistan Telecom (or
who/whereever it was).

The brothers Basit and Amjads