funsec mailing list archives

Re: Say it ain't so: Censorship in America

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:28:41 -0400

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 04:53:01PM -0500, John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP wrote:
Since when did the requirement of 100% success become the bar that must be
crossed for any policy?  If you really believed 100% effectiveness was
required before anything was initiated, we'd have to give up on information
security all together.

I don't regard this (censorship of web sites at DIA) as even partial
"effectiveness": I regard it as 100% failure, since it attempts
to solve the wrong problem in the wrong way for the wrong reasons.
And their accompanying poorly-reasoned explanation clearly indicates
that they don't realize any of this.

I'm not surprised.  When the "for the children" drum beats, rational
thinking is quickly drowned out.  The inevitable result of this is
that actions which actually *could* benefit children are passed over
in favor of those which merely *look like* they benefit children.
Then: applause, vacuous self-congratulations all around, rinse, repeat.

---Rsk