funsec mailing list archives

Re: Origin of: Soft & Gooey, Hard & Crunchy

From: David Lodge <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:31:45 -0400

Quoting Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net>:
Silly question, but I cannot for the life of me recall who
coined the analogy(and actually, I can't recall the exact phrase)
of network security being a matter of "soft and gooey inside, and
hard and crunchy outside".

Ah; the good old Armadillo model (as I normally refer to it).

The UK people will recognise this from an advert for Dime Bars in the
90s: "Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, Armadillos!".
Which perfectly described the 00s networks.

This is as opposed to "Pete's mother's steak and kidney pudding" model
to define modern networks: hard on the outside, soft on the inside,
but with really hard crunchy bits throughout. I think this name came
about after too much beer.

dave