funsec mailing list archives

Re: Origin of: Soft & Gooey, Hard & Crunchy

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:35:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon May 12 23:22:19 2008, Paul Ferguson wrote:

Silly question, but I cannot for the life of me recall who
coined the analogy(and actually, I can't recall the exact phrase)
of network security being a matter of "soft and gooey inside, and
hard and crunchy outside".

Does anyone have a reference to the original coinage of this
analogy?

Thanks,

- - ferg

Hi Fergie,

I thought it came from the Tootie Pop:
  Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

  http://www.tootsie.com/products.php?pid=168
(Surprisingly, I cannot find their old slogan, from the 1930's.  I could
have sworn it was "Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on
the inside.")

In any case, when people talk about anything that is hard to start, but
easy to accomplish, they use the same description.
http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+and+crunchy+outside+soft+and+chewy+inside

Then again, in the 1970's, Tootie Pop changed their slogan to:
"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"
  http://www.tootsie.com/gal_licks.php
This is still appropriate to computer security...

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.
Hacker Factor Solutions