funsec mailing list archives

Re: Renesys on 'Internet Vigilantism'

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:08:41 +1300

Rich Kulawiec to me:

I'm not so sure why (some) folks are upset by the idea of "regulating"
the Internet via "vigilantism".

Because either (a) they don't their history or (b) they're concerned
that they're going to be next.
<<snip much good stuff I entirely agree with>>

Ahhh, yes -- it was rather rhetorical, I thought...

Now, in re the term "vigilante": I'll assert that it's impossible for
any defensive measure to be any kind of "vigilantism".  If I refuse
email, or packets, that's not vigilantism -- it's merely self-defense,
or to put it another way, the end of active cooperation with abuse and
the beginning of passive resistance.

We need to smack down -- hard -- anyone using this term in re actions
like the recent cutoff of Atrivo.  Nobody did anything *to* them, it's
just that folks stopped doing things *for* them.

Again, I agree with you entirely and would note that I scare-quoted
"vigilante" in its various forms in every usage in my message.  That was
because I agree that what we just saw was _not_ vigilantism as it is
classically defined.

You, however, did a much better job of explaining why.  It was not a
posse of self-appointed judge, jury and executioner-types riding out into
the wilderness to hunt down and string up an alleged scum bag, but rather
a well-publicized case of more or less coordinated withdrawal of
cooperation.

By definition a vigilante is someone who "takes the law into their own
hands", usually with a strong connotation of "with the intention of
seeing ('real') justice done".  I seriously doubt that any of those
involved in the recent Intercage/Atrivo machinations believe that Emil
and his cronies have even begun to experience a just result for the ills
they have either directly wrought or knowingly enabled over the years...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald