funsec mailing list archives

Re: Texas Bank Dumps Antivirus for Whitelisting

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:17:45 +1200

"Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" to David Harley:

Change detector/integrity checker. Whatever happened to all those? ;-)

Nothing wrong with the basic idea -- just the implementation...

Mind you, that was not helped by the grievous shortcomings of the OS on
which these were being implemented -- "modern" OSes with proper security
capabilities, process separation, muti-threading and so on makes this
kind of approach much more tenable.

Of course, "the market" has since been thoroughly brainwashed into
believeing that "virus scanning" is "necessary, to the point that some
banks, etc "require" such clearly inadequate "protection" be installed on
their clients' computers to be covered for losses from their online
banking systems (and even to get access to those systems under some
suggested schemes).

Oh, my word, yes, Inegrity Master and all its ilk.  (And, of course, Gene Kim will
be highly offended if I don't mention Tripwire, although it came later.)  However,
an awful lot of them simply checksummed the existing proggies, and didn't care if
you added anything.  (I remember my shock at reviewing the first AV that handled
things that way ...)

Of course, shoddily and seriously incompletely implemented instances of
this class of product did not help its early image amongst (most) users
(though that was all largely academic given the lack of sufficient OS
resources, such as memory protection, multi-threading, etc as already
alluded to).  In short, it was a good idea well ahead of its time, given
the limitations of the then-dominant (desktop, business) OS, whose image
was further tarnished by poor implementations (and some shocking
marketing -- anyone recall "never needs updating"??  8-) ).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald