funsec mailing list archives

Re: Texas Bank Dumps Antivirus for Whitelisting

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:23:36 +0100 (BST)

Date sent:            Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:47:42 +0100
From:                 David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com>

Change detector/integrity checker. Whatever happened to all those? ;-)

Oh, my word, yes, Inegrity Master and all its ilk.  (And, of course, Gene Kim will
be highly offended if I don't mention Tripwire, although it came later.)  However,
an awful lot of them simply checksummed the existing proggies, and didn't care if
you added anything.  (I remember my shock at reviewing the first AV that handled
things that way ...)

And many of them didn't checksum the partition sector, and *none* of them
checksummed Word docs.