funsec mailing list archives

Re: Texas Bank Dumps Antivirus for Whitelisting

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:13:23 +0100

As opposed to blacklisting, which is... oh, wait a minute. ;-)

 ... cheaper. Because you have to add *all* the costs up, not
just the cost of the software.

Actually, I was thinking of processing costs. If we really worked
exclusively on the basis of super-granular near-exact ID that people think
we should, we'd be running virus labs the size of the National Health
Service. That effect is masked by the general move towards more generic
technologies.

Also - here's an unusual thought - an AV doesn't have to be
100% effective in warding off viruses (fortunately). There's
a tradeoff applicable.

I never thought it did have to. Unfortunately, I have to spend a lot of time
telling people that it doesn't. Some of them in the industry. ;-)

--
David Harley, ESET Research Author
AVIEN COO: http://www.avien.org