funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where does the Republican Party stand on the 1st Amendment?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:55:10 +1200

John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP wrote:

I know all you new media types hate IP, but you know, having shameless
no-talent hacks gank the work of actual good designers only serves to
decimate yet another industry.  See the news media for an example.

And I know all you olde-worlde conservative numb-nut rednecks hate
inventive political satire (mainly because you're all too stupid to some
up with your own).

Sadly, the morons that framed your Constitution effectively sanctioned
satire as a form of free-speech and the GOP's "request" to CafePress, etc
to blanket ban use of their IP would require CafePress, etc to make
rulings on whether individual such uses were actually Constitutionally
sanctioned or not, OR it would require CafePress, etc to enforce an
unconstitutional blanket ban.

Maybe the GOP should police use of its own trademarks more diligently
rather than trying to enjoin a third party to do it for them?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald