funsec mailing list archives

Re: The right to bear arms & make salad

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:32:04 -0700

First, this isn't about murder rates, but about the fundamental
underpinning of liberty: that it is we the people, not the state, who
are vested with ultimate power. I'd be willing to accept a 10x higher
chance of being killed over the "safety" of a police state.

But, to your point: The murder rate in the US has decreased more in
jurisdictions that have enacted "shall issue" concealed carry than those
that haven't, and the worst places are those with effective bans, like
DC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime

And the UK gun ban resulted in an INCREASE in crime with Guns, not a
decrease:

Criminals get guns the same way the get property and drugs: smuggling
and theft. Disarming civilians only makes them more convenient victims
for thugs.

Next you'll be advocating the banning of Metasploit, nmap and nessus, so
as to reduce hacking.

BTW: I'll take a higher death rate (especially given that 50% of US
deaths involving guns are suicides) for a much lower violent crime rate.

http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01/crime-in-uk-versus-crime-in-us.html