funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cybercrime as destructive as credit crisis

From: John Bambenek <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:30:54 -0600

Compare 62 bil with the few trillion we've spent so far in mitigating
the credit crisis (albeit quite wrongly spent money but that's besides
the point).  What bank has been seized by FDIC over cybercrime?  I think
the only company ever folded by cybercrime was Blue Security and that
wasn't exactly a major player and some commentators have mentioned they
employed less than honest tactics (I have no idea if that is true or not
but perceptions are what drive actions, not facts, see politics).

Date sent:            Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:51:13 -0600
From:                 Thomas Raef <traef () ebasedsecurity com>

But don't you think cybercrime is much the same?

I'm with you, Thomas.  I recall a 2006 FBI survey (done on 2005 data) indicating
malware related incidents had a huge *financial* impact: they estimated 62 billion
for 2005, US-wide.  Even allowing for over-reporting and lack of understanding, I
still think that's gotta count for something.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
             Press any key to continue.  NO, NO, NOT *THAT* ONE!
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/