funsec mailing list archives

Re: Julie Amero saga has come to a close...

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:06:38 -0600

At 09:15 AM 11/22/2008, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
I know. She should have had the charges dropped and been fully
exonerated.  All the parties were ready to fight to the end, but the
reality is, her health has been in a precipitous decline.  I really
don't think she was prepared mentally and physically for the pain of
another trial, and finally acquiesced to the lesser misdemeanor charge.

Still a bitter pill to swallow.  But at least she can move on now
without this sick cloud hanging over her head.

Alex-

Thanks for passing along the good news. I had no idea that she was
still suffering from this terrible false arrest.

I wonder how many of us were caught by her situation. At one time, I
worked on many toxic student systems. I was working on such a system
when a faculty member came to see me. I turned to help him and
noticed that his eyes got very wide. The toxic student system was
running the same sort of display that got Julie in trouble.

I ducked trouble by giving the faculty member a short course on my
job, spyware, student computers and the various exploits on this
particular computer...whew... How horrible for Julie that it took 4
years to be cleared and then on a plea bargain. Her life will never
be the same.

BTW, I am a very infrequent poster to FUNSEC...I'm not a very chatty
sort of guy. But this case is so incredibly outrageous...and so very
close to home. I was very lucky that my faculty member was willing to
be taught about spyware and malware.

Thanks for helping this lady.

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
GCWN GCFA
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
297 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu