funsec mailing list archives

Re: heuristics are dead?

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:57:23 -0000

I'm not offering to lynch anyone - after all, I've spent most of my security
career in customer organizations (one of them very large indeed.) rather
than working for a vendor, as I do currently. Surprisingly enough, I even
agree with some of the comments that were made: however, I get very tired of
hearing that the industry I'm employed by is misleading customers, claiming
unlikely detection percentages, insistent on pushing their obsolete solution
as the only way to deal with malware, and generally unfit to be discussed in
front of children and animals. So you'll have to forgive me if I'm
unreasonably irritated by some of the less technically-grounded assertions
made by some of the participants. (And I do understand that you were the guy
in the middle in more than one sense.)

Actually, if you look again at the wording of my mail, you'll notice that
comment I made was a little more subtle than accusing you guys of being
incompetent. The point that I was making was that people who are
outstandingly knowledgeable on the topic (not that I'm suggesting that Nick
would necessarily leap in and defend the AV industry right or wrong...) will
have to participate in a very different way to the reverentially introduced
original panel, and from a very defensive position, if seen to represent the
interests of the AV industry.

Don't you think Richard stacked the deck somewhat?

--
David Harley BA CISSP FBCS CITP
Director of Malware Intelligence

  _____