funsec mailing list archives

Re: heuristics are dead?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:04:24 -0500

Amrit, I don't despise analysts.  It's just that my interactions with
one particular firm have been, in some instances, distasteful (and in
one particular case, appalling), but it certainly depends on whom one
talks to in an organization.  We engage the services of the analyst
community extensively in our own go to market strategy.  And I'm glad
that Gartner hired someone like you, fresh from the trenches.  That is a
good thing.

The fact remains that heuristics and behavioral detections are detecting
a vast amount of malware -- in many cases, the bulk of new malware (it
actually depends which AV engine you evaluate).  I only took issue with
that part of the discussion, which Martin McKeay started off as saying
"it doesn't work".   Grab any fresh piece of malware you find out there,
run it against a bunch of engines, and you'll see that many have no clue
what the file actually is -- only that it's bad.

As I said in my blog, I agreed with many of the panel's other points.

Alex