funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:19:45 +0100

* Alex Eckelberry:

But malware researchers routinely deal with botnets for analysis
purposes.  It would be considered a high crime indeed to allow a spambot
to actually send spam to the outside world, even for "testing" purposes.

I think you've missed the peer-reviewed paper for an ACM conference
where the researchers did exactly that.  It's probably not even an
obscure group, I recognized the name of one of the coauthors (and I
usually can't remember names). 8-/