funsec mailing list archives

Re: thoughts

From: Steve Pirk <orion () pirk com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, der Mouse wrote:

We are accustomed to see malware bent on financial gain, but what is
the motivation for Conficker?  The investment was made, the ammassed
"firepower" is large, and no gain has yet been obtained.  Could the
owners of Conficker be outside of the usual criminal circles?  Could
it be a military project, waiting for a political event, to activate?

Could?  Certainly.

My own suspicion?  It's a relatively ordinary botnet-in-prepraration,
just run by someone who's willing to let it lie fallow for a few months
in order to get better penetration before spinning it up.

I heard something this am on npr that got me thinking. A radical Taliban
group claimed credit for the Pakistan Police training facility attack
yesterday, and then said Washinton was next and it would be "amazing".

What better terroist attack than to use a giant botnet to paralize US govt
networks or banking networks?

Just thinking out loud... :-)
--
Steve
Equal bytes for women.

(My own opinion of the "Conficker pwns Parliament" thing is rather well
summed up by xkcd #463.  But then, that's how I feel about most malware
incidents.)

/~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents-montreal org
/ \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B