funsec mailing list archives

Re: cyber-9/11

From: "Richard Golodner" <rgolodner () infratection com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:59:02 -0500

"> Jon Kibler wrote:
First, your perception that attacks from China are "teenagers" or
"script kiddies" is wrong. It is well documented that the State is
behind a lot of these intrusions.

Begging the question, well documented where?
BGreene said too:
"I was going to ask the same question. I dedicated a lot of time - including
time in China with all sort of "security" types. The cyber-security
complexities in China is confusing. The one thing I do know is that most of
the hype from the US Gov about "China Gov Hacking" is just that - hype."

        Isn't this a fine example of a black hat's version of security
through obscurity? Why do it from my own backyard when I can do it elsewhere
with less hassle and no legal ramifications? I see plenty of questionable
log entries from Chinese IP space, but isn't the appeal of China the ease of
which anyone anywhere can host just about anything?
        Richard