funsec mailing list archives

fascinating deceptive writing in news [was: Great NPR foo]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:21:19 +0300

Tahi List wrote:
Nice thread. For wicked wicked commentary on current events you can't
beat The Bugle:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/thebugle

I actually get an ache in my face from grinning to this podcast.

Here are a couple of good examples.

1. I recently came across this fox news story. I found how it's written
very fascinating.

It is very convincing even if it is built of nothing but slogans, empty
statements and demagogy. Far more convincing than some of my well
researched arguments:

2. @DDrazic (Drazen Drazic) shared the following link discussing
Internet censorship in Australia sometime in February. I found the text
especially fascinating.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25062518-5013038,00.html

The author uses baseless demagogy. Also, he does some pretty cool things
with words. He is a good writer and makes me his friend when I read his
article, but he is also completely full of b/s:

1. He "boils" us slowly with examples we can relate to, showing us how
our boy can get home from school and with simple searches on the net for
say, horse-back riding can end up in a porn site showing something else
entirely.

2. He then at the very end, with the worst example that is about to
shatter our suspended disbelief (while he hopes it won't), changes the
replaces with no warning the word "boy" with "girl". Brilliant.

3. He ties together two unrelated subjects in post hoc fashion, assuming
that just because something happens after something else, they are related.

4. He assumed that if the worst can happen it will. He preaches
"slippery slope" and brokers doom and gloom if we evern dare look at the
direction he opposes.

        Gadi.