funsec mailing list archives

British Television

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 02:03:55 +0300

My favorite UK COMEDY of all times is Coupling (UK version, naturally).
It is one of the best shows EVAH! Jeff FTW!
Some compare it to Friends, as it features three female actresses and
three male actors. It's much smarter than any sitcom.
Coupling is cult for me.

My favorite UK COMEDY of the 1980s is Yes Minister (with sequel Yes
Prime Minister). It is extremely funny, and teaches you quite a bit of
politics and double-speak to boot. A must in modern-day education.
I watch the shows every couple of years.

My favorite on-the-air UK COMEDY is The IT Crowd. Hilarious geek sitcom!

My favorite UK DRAMA show is Spooks, following a fictional MI5 team
(think British 24). The first couple of seasons made sense (within
reason, they didn't carry hand-cuffs and guns) and was ridiculous
(terrorists were environmentalists rather than extreme Islamic). Newer
seasons are fun, but my suspended disbelief has been broken.

My favorite UK COOL DRAMA show is Life on Mars (Gene Hunt FTW!) and its
sequel Ashes to Ashes (currently playing its second series).

I doubt it would surprise anyone, but my favorite British SHOW (allow
any any) of ALL TIMES is Doctor Who, with a preference to the new show
from this century. Steven Moffat (who wrote Coupling) writes for the new
doctor as well.

Mentioning Monty Python's Flying Circus seems too out of date even for
this listing, but it has a place of honour on my DVD shelf.

What are you fav Brit shows?

        Gadi.

--
Gadi Evron,