funsec mailing list archives

Re: I don't recognize it, so it must be a bomb

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 18:52:45 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Nick FitzGerald
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 4:06 PM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] I don't recognize it, so it must be a bomb

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

(Why should the Faux News have all the good goof-ups?)
[TLB:]
Because Fox uses their own reporters and affiliates, as opposed to
mostly regurgitating AP and Reuters.

They have a real NETWORK, with LOCAL affiliates.

So you're suggesting that Fox has the most goofups because it has the
widest reach?

Interesting -- as it's supposed to be a news channel, _and_ as there
are others with similarly broad-reaching networks, I don't think that
passes as an adequate explanation.

I'd have thought the fact that it doesn't actually have (m)any
practising "real journalists" COMBINED with the breadth of their
distribution is the answer to the OP's question...

[TLB:] Your bias is showing. The OP's question was regarding how Fox
managed to cover so many of others' goof-ups, not how it has so many of
its own.

The same statement I made regarding Fox's ability to find "local
interest"  in the US holds for Al-Beeb. They have the best worldwide
coverage, because they have more correspondents in more places, due to
affiliation with the various former empire countries state media.

CNN, on the other hand, have no real local coverage. They are part of
the Time-Warner Infotainment empire, and on the rare occasions when they
come up with any original content of their own are a shill for
Ho-Chi-Jane and Ted Turner's left of center views. That is, except for
the deliberately loony "Blue Dog" populist Lou Dobbs, which lets them
claim to be balanced while letting them make the right look foolish.

Of course, there's Chihuahua Blitzer, who can wax apoplectic about a
mosquito bite, to keep the 90 IQ crowd watching through the ads.

That they have Hillary Rosen, she of the RIAA's Canutic efforts against
Internet music distribution, as a "expert" shows just how driven by the
business needs of TWX CNN's coverage and staffing are.