funsec mailing list archives

DON'T DO STUPID THINGS!

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:40:07 -0800

I live near a deep canyon with a river.  Every summer we wonder, every time we
hear the sirens, whether it is yet another kid who decided to jump off the cliffs
into the river.  There are big signs warning of the danger, and a number of
memorial plaques to those who have died.  (Maybe it would be more effective if all
the plaques were replaced and reworded, to say "Sacred to the memory of X, WHO
WAS REALLY STUPID!!")

So, we have a hurricane winding down, and what do people do?  Decide to run out
to the rocks and look at the big waves.  Sometimes from underneath.

"A 7-year-old girl died in Maine after she, her father, and a 12-year-old girl were
swept into the water on August 23 off Acadia National Park’s Thunder Hole,
where tourists often gather to watch waves crash into a crevasse and make a
thundering sound while splashing high in the air. Park officials at Acadia National
Park, about 110 miles northeast of Portland, said an estimated 10,000 people,
lured by the wild ocean, converged on the park’s loop road trying to get a good
view of waves more than 15 feet high crashing against the rocky shore. “The
problem was there were thousands and thousands of people to try to keep an eye
on,” said the chief ranger. The U.S. Coast Guard reported that the waves swept
over 20 people. The chief ranger said 11 people were taken to the hospital,
mainly for broken bones after being slammed onto the rocks. A Thunder Hole
viewing platform was closed, and they were among hundreds of people watching
the waves from nearby rocks. Many people did not even move when the waves
splashed them and instead seemed to laugh it off, the chief ranger said."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gVWjsPEiqe1tEu2mhBIRax
xGi8owD9A93BK02

Also:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/08/25/ns-boaters-hurricane-
bill.html

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
It is entirely untrue that we dislike you because of your [race|
religion|politics|sexual orientation|choice of operating system].
We dislike you because you are a jerk.                         - rms
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored