funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

If email isn't fixed (by replacing SMTP), then I'm afraid it'll wane
through attrition, and be relegated to a corporate messaging system.

16 year olds today tend to use SMS and social applications, [...]

HTTP will probably replace SMTP, and when that happens Google,
Hotmail and Yahoo will be able to elbow out everyone else.

And those of us who _do_ use SMTP will be able to take it back again,
once its user population is too small to be attractive to spammers.
Oddly enough, most of the people I care about communicating with would,
I suspect, be among "those of us" if/when that happens.  I've already
had to block gmail, hotmail, and yahoo for assorted abusive behaviours
and am considering blocking the rest of google; if they were to stop
doing SMTP I would be delighted.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org